Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Breaking Bad's Epic Ending

 
Breaking Bad has been a favorite of mine for a while. The first time I saw it I was hooked. I binged watched it until the end of the fourth season right before the fifth one started. And this past Sunday night, it all came to an end.

 Let me first say how brilliant the writing is with this show. Everything is solid and even at its worse, its amazing how the writers create the characters get away schemes. The fact that they use science to get out of their situations makes Walt's skills the most unique criminal skills in the history of story telling. Who the hell uses chemistry and guns to kick ass? Walt does. Because Walt is a bad ass character. This is what makes this show fascinating and fun to watch. It gives nerds a place in the universe even on the scale of evil to be cool. The meek becomes the strong...and then the tyrannical. As Walt says "I'm not in danger, I AM the danger." A lot of the lines that Walt states is chillingly awesome.

At first when you see him he is plain and pathetic man beaten down by life. Then he grows to be a brilliant criminal that even at his worse, had the best intentions for his family. The conflict of evil vs good weighs heavily in this series and even the worst Walt does, you still end up relating to him. You can't help it. Walt is an evil character that is hard not to love and feel sorry for. Hes had a shitty life and the blue meth he created was his magnum opus. You kind of understand what he did because most of us would feel the same if we got the same raw deals he got.

Back to the subject of endings. Endings are difficult for most people to do properly. There are several series I can name off the top of my head that pissed me off. You want an ending to do justice to the show, but at the same time you want it to be a thrilling ride all the way to the last second. Walt's ending was satisfying. I told everyone I wouldn't be happy if Walt died. What I feared most was the writers would go cheap and have him shot by some one close. Making for a rather somber, crappy ending to such a brilliant character. I won't tell you what happened, but lets say Walt did redeem himself a little in this last episode. All of the pain he caused, he knew was there. And it ended with him going out like a bad ass.

The writers did a good job at tying up loose ends and giving us hope for some of the characters in the future. Most of all, we see how far the relationship of Walter White and Jesse Pinkman is tested all the way til the bitter end. Its amazing, but I will miss their messed up partnership between Master and Apprentice.

The most painful scene to watch was between him and his wife with their last goodbyes. I never liked his wife. In the beginning she was controlling and cold to him, but as the series went on, you could tell this woman loved him. She grew on me in the last season. Even through the worst of it, she still gave him a last chance to say goodbye to his little girl. Such a sad scene, because of all the implications that went into that final talk.

Breaking Bad, you continued to surprise me on what's around the corner every step of the way. I couldn't have been more wrong in my predictions, but I loved every second of it. It was a brilliantly thought out show with interesting characters and one hell of a ride all the way through.

My hats off to the best writing in television. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with next!


                 Next up...BETTER CALL SAUL!



No comments:

Post a Comment